The Benefits Specialist is responsible for daily administration of benefit programs in a manner supporting company culture and ensuring policy and statutory compliance with governing agencies. Provide employee support regarding interpretation of benefit policies and benefit plan coverage.
1. Educate employees in all health and welfare benefits offered by the company.
2. Responsible for the weekly processing of benefits changes and enrollments for Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Canada, and qualified life events).
3. Manage the new hire orientation and termination process related to benefits.
4. In partnership with payroll, ensure that all benefit payables and deductions have processed accurately.
5. Responsible for the oversight and administration of the ancillary benefit programs: Ensures compliance with federal and state levels. Reviews all applications and forms to ensure requests meet plan qualifications. Uses own judgment to approve requests based on past practices.
6. Responsible for upholding the highest level of integrity for respecting employee’s private medical information as required by the requirements of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and applicable state laws.
7. Responsible for the oversight and administration of weekly/monthly processing of Flexible Spending (Medical & Dependent Care) and Health Savings Account payroll deduction files to be provided to vendor. Independently reviews all information for accuracy auditing against payroll reports to ensure program runs properly and participants do not experience disruption of benefits. Resolves discrepancies using independent judgment based on existing policies and past practices.
8. Manages annual non-discrimination testing of Flexible Spending Accounts
9. Responsible for the processing of monthly premiums for the Health and Welfare Benefits. Review, reconcile and submit for payment. This includes running reports from ADP Reporting to ensure vendor accuracy. Works with vendor to correct any discrepancies.
10. Responsible for the administration of the COBRA program (continuation of healthcare coverage for former plan participants). Ensure all required notices and administration is compliant and meets all federal requirements. Provide expertise and guidance to former plan participants as required.
11. Assist with the Annual Health & Welfare Open Enrollment: Understand plan design and changes if necessary, to assist employees with Health & Welfare plan options. Provide input on communications provided to employees based on employee interaction. Provide support to ensure all communication and relevant information reaches participants.
12. Assists with on-going monitoring of ACA eligible and affordability tracking.
Skills, Experience and Requirements:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or related filed preferred.
• PHR, CBP, CEBS designation preferred
• Understanding of Healthcare plan design
• Knowledge of compliance required for healthcare
• 2-4 years of experience working in employee benefit plans • Communicate/educate employee benefits
• Administer a COBRA program/knowledge of COBRA compliance • Process invoices acutely and identify/address any concerns
• Work with a team and contribute to team success
• Excellent customer service skills • Excellent Microsoft Office Skills, including Excel and Word
• Strong communication skill
• Knowledge ADP Enterprise Version 5, Health & Welfare Employee Self-Service, Reporting
• Health & Welfare Vendor Websites