The Footwear Designer has 10+ years of experience in design and a proven record of creating innovative and compelling footwear products for a target consumer in alignment with seasonal strategies and brand initiatives. Possessing a high level of technical skill, the Designer is experienced with multiple shoe constructions, materials and processes and is ready to tackle projects of all levels of difficulty. Possessing the ability to work independently, the Designer can be relied upon to complete projects with little or no supervision, on time and according to brand strategies.
• Shops the market throughout the season and utilizes resources like WGSN, Social Media and Business of Fashion to identify, analyze and translate marketplace trends for target consumer.
• Collaborating with Design Team, researches/identifies upcoming trends and themes and mentors the team in the creation of clear and concise seasonal stories conveying mood, compelling color and material toolkits and key silhouettes
• Designs and develops 3-5 key new constructions per season from sketch to last development to upper and outsole prototype working with Engineering and Materials Teams to drive innovation and meet commercial requirements of the brief.
• Working with existing key constructions, creates new upper design concepts to reimagine or reinvent as required to meet strategic goals.
• Creates dynamic product concept boards to visually communicate design solutions and seasonal direction.
• Helps plan and carry out consumer focus groups to gain a deeper understanding of consumer preferences.
• Leads and contributes to team meetings, design reviews and presentations. • Volunteers to take on additional projects as needed to satisfy sales and merchandising requests.
• Meets or exceeds all deliverable and timeline requirements according to business strategy and seasonal calendar.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial/Fashion Design or equivalent
• 10+ years of work experience in footwear design
• Proven creative ability demonstrated through portfolio of work projects
• Strong sketching and rendering skills
• Strong presentation and storytelling skills
• Strong leadership skills
• Demonstrates drive, passion, enthusiasm
• Receptive to constructive feedback, embraces change, able to change direction and take on new challenges as marketplace shifts and consumer needs evolve
• Takes initiative, volunteers for special projects, gets the job done without waiting for direction
• Meticulous and detail-oriented, takes pride in doing quality work
• Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects at once
• Strong time management skills: working to a deadline, working independently
• Strong interpersonal skills, collaborative team player
• Highly skilled in Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office including Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and Powerpoint
• Technical drawing skills a must
• 3D CAD proficiency a plus