The Product Development Engineer manages the technical development of the footwear ranges as assigned. Working closely with in-house Last Modelists, Designers and Business Unit Directors. Works closely with manufacturing development teams to deliver world class developments ensuring that price, style and quality are adhered to throughout the development process.
1. Manage the last model development ensuring that the specification and last bottom pattern is correct for construction and fitting.
2. Pre-cost and ensure specifications fall within target Factory costs.
3. Physically produce sole drawings or assist to exacting standards considering sole material type, substance, and construction to enable source factories to produce technical blueprints and sole models.
4. Approve Technical Blueprints to enable sample metal molds to be produced (via tooling requests) in time for critical development meetings and milestones.
5. Manage all material issues, insuring they are fit for purpose as well as within target costs.
6. Travel to source factories each season to ensure samples are produced technically and aesthetically correct, giving expert technical support to Designers and Business Unit Directors and factories.
7. Manage fit testing procedure, from initial samples through Production, advise Designers and Range Management on technical amendments required. Initiate amendments in conjunction with the Last Modelist.
8. Enter technical specification data into RT (as applicable) for all engineering components, ensuring that the information is technically correct. Review specifications for accuracy to ensure Bill of Materials (BOM) is correctly Synchronised.
9. Provide the Designers and Business Unit Directors with innovations to enable sample production to deliver world class products within our target costs
Skills and Experience:
• In depth Knowledge of Shoemaking process
• In depth knowledge of Shoemaking materials
• In depth Knowledge of Shoe constructions
• In depth Knowledge of foot structure and fitting
• In depth knowledge of last dimensions and manufacture.
• Good Design Knowledge (ability to draw accurately to scale)
• In depth knowledge of the company product development process including timetables and technical specifications.
• High level problem solving
• Project management
• Organisational skill and financial awareness
• Computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Illustrator etc)
• Extensive experience in product development, shoemaking and associated areas identifying and preventing outcomes that do not meet company standards and values.
• Extensive knowledge and experience in foot fitting developing solutions to problems and innovating as market requirements demand.
• Extensive experience In Developing Multi-Gender Product Ranges Globally
• Extensive experience In Developing Multi-Gender Product Ranges in Domestic Factories.