The Assistant General Counsel will provide legal advice and training to Clarks Americas business, supporting the regional head of legal to deliver the overall objectives of the team; namely legal compliance and risk mitigation across all areas of the business concerning litigation and employment law. Function as litigation and employment law subject matter expert while also supporting other commercial level matters.
• Provide practical and sound legal advice and counsel to HR and management on all legal issues concerning the employer/employee relationship, including but not limited to hiring, employee relations, performance management, discrimination, harassment, wage and hour, non-competes and other restrictive covenants, termination, reductions-in-force, separation agreements, compensation, benefits, staffing, policy, diversity and learning and development. Advice and counsel will be both as to day-to-day issues and as to strategic initiatives
• Respond on behalf of company to attorney letter and agency matters, including charges and government-initiated inquiries and audits. Draft responses; interview and prepare witnesses; engage with agency personnel and outside counsel
• Strategically and in a cost-effective manner, manage and partner with outside counsel in litigation matters. Drive, support efforts to reduce outside counsel spend.
• Negotiate with opposing counsel regarding separation and settlement agreements and related issues; draft agreements.
• Working closely with HR and other Departments, review and provide counsel regarding various employment law and human resources policies, practices and procedures. Support process improvement to gain efficiencies.
• Provide support to and coordinate as needed with respect to employment-related investigations; make recommendations regarding appropriate corrective action
• Develop, conduct training for management and HR.
• Support general litigation, including commercial, real estate, products liability, corporate litigation
• Contract review and regulatory compliance
Essential Knowledge and Experience
• J.D from ABA-approved law school; Admission to MA and/or CA Bar or be admitted within one year of hire. In good standing in all jurisdictions where admitted.
• Licensed to practice law in good standing in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
• Strong command of litigation process and employment laws, regulations and best practices.
• Understanding of how to render diplomatic, practical, creative and at all times compliant advice in a concise and timely fashion.
• Knowledge of commercial, intellectual property, and regulatory law, preferred
• International law and commercial awareness, preferred
• Experience in retail and competition law
• 5 to 10 years of experience practicing employment law and litigation, including experience with contracts.
• Experience working closely with and gaining credibility from all layers of management
• Experience handling non-compete and other restrictive covenant agreement matters.
• Experience in a law firm and/or in-house experience
• Transactional and related legal experience representing and advising large clients
• Ability to work closely with business units in their operational execution
• Ability to provide independent counsel to all levels of professionals
• Ability to identify and analyze relevant legal issues, draft key documents, present clear recommendations, and ensure legal compliance.