The Director of Merchandising sets the merchandising plans for the region, obsessing consumer needs, leading with marketplace insights and driving a holistic and segmented go-to-market strategy. The Director of Merchandising unlocks opportunities based on deep consumer and marketplace knowledge. The core focus of this role is to create consumer-right assortments to achieve merchandising excellence across all channels of distribution.
• Create Merchandising Line Plans for the assigned distribution segment
• Leverage on pricing to drive high margins and grow long-term profits
• Maintain an understanding of local market and competitive dynamics, target consumer needs, and product trends. Collect and synthesize insight, local intelligence and product requirements from all markets
. • Develop consumer-right assortments by distribution channel and tier. Ensure assortments deliver the consumer requirements and financial targets for the Region.
• Travel the marketplace to understand product needs, communicate the product and brand messages, and build effective business relationships.
• Be a consumerist: obsess the consumer and understand quickly new competitive trends
• Lead with the art and science of merchandising • Be the marketplace expert with global product
• Collaborate with the Marketing to coordinate the delivery of product selling information such as features and benefits, technology stories, etc. to the Regional Sales Teams
. • Present the merchandise strategy, supporting insights, assortment guidance and trading plans to Sales Teams at Regional Sales Meetings.
• Responsible for assortment creation, channel segmentation and account differentiation plans.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree and at least 5-7 years of related experience
• Experience in the development and implementation of product strategy, product development, material make ups and overall factory knowledge
• Buying, Merchandising, or Product Management experience at a senior level in the Footwear business.
• Lead with the art and science of merchandising
• Understanding of the footwear market - competitors, trends, distribution • Knowledge of different business operating models – Retail, Franchise, Factory, eCom, Product, Finance, Supply Chain
• Ability to create an overall merchandising plan with SMART objectives and defined activities • Ability to lead and influence others.
• Have product acumen and footwear experience.
• Negotiation skills to maximize the matrix resource of Clarks
• Organizational and Communication skills
• Experience in key distribution channels (wholesale experience is a plus).
• Comprehensive understanding of overall business operations